Below are the answers to the mystery bird competition. The winner was Matt Stainthorpe with only one wrong answer.
We are currently looking for some great activities for the 2016 fair. If you have any ideas please get in touch.
So far we have:
Lino Printing Demonstration on the Richard Jarvis Stand
Alpaca Wool Spinning
Cone Critter Craft for children.
Collect your own make a fox sheet from League against cruel sports
Insect Id with Robert Maidstone
Magnetic Butterfly craft for children.
Basket weaving Demonstration
Carving Demonstration on Diana Jackson's Stand
Bird Ringing Demonstration
Bird Walks with the North East Norfolk Bird Club - 09.30, 11.00, 13.00 and 3.30, daily
Badger Mask Making
Evening walk with the Amphibian and Reptile Group
Hedge Basket Demonstration
Wildlife Art Painting in progress with David Ord Kerr
Matt Merritt will be signing copies of his new book - A Sky Full Of Birds. Saturday at 2pm and Sunday at 11am
Andy Brown will be signing copies of Birds in Norfolk on Saturday.
2016 will host the second bird race and will raise money for Wader Quest. If you are interested in participating please contact Andrew Whitelee who is organising this event. He is currently looking for a Norfolk team and maybe Suffolk?
On 9th May 2015 the Norfolk Bird and Wildlife Fair in association with Race to Save are holding a sponsored bird race. three teams nominally representing Norfolk, Suffolk and "Visitors" will compete for the "Norfolk Bird Fair Trophy" with the aim of seeing or hearing as many species of bird as possible in the East Anglian region with whilst raising money and awareness for conservation groups. The money raised will gp to the BTO local conservation projects. The trophy will be presented to the winning team at the Fair. If you are interested in taking part, sponsoring a team or have any other ideas on how you could help then please contact firstname.lastname@example.org (07783 24318307783 243183)
1. The welfare of the birds must come first. Therefore disturbance (flushing sitting birds off nests etc.) is not allowed. “Out of bounds” birds will be declared nearer the start of the race.
2. Use of tape lures to attract birds is forbidden.
3. Attempt to be made in one calendar day. Midnight to midnight on Saturday 9th May 2015.
4. Threel members of the team must see or hear the bird.
5. Oiled or sick birds do not count.
6. Rarities need verification from the Rarities Committee.
7. All birds counted must be on the British list, but escapes should be noted and added in brackets.
8. Trespassing in search of birds is forbidden.
9. All distances must be covered at an average speed under the speed limit for each road.
10. Lateness. For each minute late, 10 minutes will be counted back and any birds recorded within that time discounted.
11. The judge’s decision is final. The race will be based on trust, remember if you are cheating on your species list you are also cheating our sponsors.
Start/finish points to be decided…
For ticket and exhibitor information:
Jill and Rob
The Norfolk Bird Fair
3a St Johns Close
Tel: +44 1603 219119
Or use our online contact form.
Both days will open from 9-5pm